Conscience in a Dreamcatcher

baa989b79d4322f8fb0b09ba519b7971

The dancer upstairs sleeps,

with dreamcatchers floating above her head.

The queen of dreams recalls the wedding in December,

on that broken ground in the forgotten garden.

But the imagination is just the perfect storm of illusions,

so sleep my sweet beauty.

Let’s pretend this never happened.

Inspired by Spine Poems.

Books included are: “The Dancer Upstairs” by Nicholas Shakespeare, “Dreamcatcher” by Stephen King, “The Queen of Dreams” by Peter F. Hamilton, “A Wedding In December” by Anita Shreve, “Broken Ground” by John Keeble, “The Forgotten Garden” by Kate Morton, “Illusions” by Aprilynne Pike, “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened” by Jenny Lawson.

This poem is simply about a dancer who is teleported back to the dream of her wedding in December through her dreamcatcher. The broken ground represents the failed marriage and present divorce. The forgotten garden, however, represents the happy love-life they had when they were dating. When they got married things were much different living together; each others’ minor annoyances got the better of them. A once passionate relationship crumbles. In order to forget this sad tale the dreamcatcher tells her to sleep. It inevitably forces her memory to disappear.

->The dreamcatcher represents her conscience and memory. It is the driving force for her to continue to sleep rather than wake up from her dream.

->The dancer is a dreamer and uses her dreams as foreshadowing and guidance. Her dreams take over her mind and predicts the emotions she will feel when she wakes up. She has always been a dreamer since she was little and it will never stop.

->The wedding is the root of the poem and the issue because it is not known what fully happened.

->The imagination is also a driving force for her reactions. Not only is she a dreamer she also has a great imagination. Therefore, it is not know whether she is imagining it or if the situation is real.

->”My sweet beauty” also represents the fact that maybe it was more the husband’s fault than the wife but again it is not known.

My intent was to leave this poem open to the reader’s imagination as to what happened, but short enough that you could read and interpret it quickly.

Image:http://www.pinterest.com/pin/158681586844892190/

2 thoughts on “Conscience in a Dreamcatcher

1. Dear Emma,
    First of all, I just love the visual that is so strong and dominant with its size and colour scheme, which is also a great compliment to the look of your blog theme.
    As for the SPINE POEM – awesome! It is magical and I love how you took the spines and expanded it to fit into poem.
    A further wise move was to list not just the novels, but the authors of those texts. Titles can inspire the imagination with a desire and interest to read, and you’ve provided us dreamers with the information needed for us to find those novels.
    Finally, I love that you have explicated the ideas behind the images and symbols.
    To improve this, I’d CAPITALIZE the titles of the books within the lines of the poem. Also, I’d better format the explication work with BOLD, COLOURS, ITALICS, etc… Make it easier on the eyes and clearer for the mind.
    Overall, inspiring work, as usual! Thank you!
    Cheers,
    Ms. Hunni

2. This is fantastico! This post was well articulated and had stupendous style, I am looking forward to reading more of your epic blog! Your implicit ideas about life throughout your spine poem. I your writing is excellent!